Osmo Top Oil clear is a transparent oil-wax combination for treating furniture and kitchen worktops made of wood. Osmo Top Oil comes in Satin, Matt, coloured tints or Natural finish and is based on natural plant oils and waxes. It is suitable for all types of wood. The microporous surface does not crack, peel, flake or blister. It is resistant to wine, beer, cola, coffee, tea, fruit juice, milk and water according to DIN 68861-1A – no water spots. When dry, the finish is safe for humans, animals and plants and is suitable for children’s toys as per EN 71.3 (European norm) and is saliva-resistant and sweat proof according to DIN 53160 (German industrial norm). Osmo Top Oil is ideal for protecting interior furniture surfaces and work surfaces made of solid wood or edge-glued panels (e.g. kitchen worktops, desks, shelving etc.). It is also suited to cork and OSB. It is Based on natural plant oils (sunflower oil, soybean oil, thistle oil) and waxes, paraffin, pigments, lead-free siccatives (drying agents) and water-repellent additives.
How to use Osmo Top Oil
1. The Wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 18%).
2. Osmo Top oil is ready to use. Do not thin.
3. Stir well before use.
4. Clean old microporous stains thoroughly.
5. Old paints, varnishes and lacquers must be completely removed.
6. Always wear a dusk mask while sanding.
7. Fill small cracks, larger joints or holes in wood with a Wood Filler.
8. Sand wood surfaces carefully. Begin with coarse sandpaper – final sanding work for furniture and worktops P150- 240 (depending on wood species – for worktops max. P150).
9. Before oiling the surface, remove sanding dust with a broom or vacuum cleaner.
10. Apply the first coat thinly along the wood grain with an Osmo Flat Brush.
11. Allow to dry for approx. 8-10 hours. Ventilate well while drying.
12. Apply the second coat with an Osmo lint-free cloth.
13. For renovations, one coat applied to the clean and dry surface with an Oil finish applicator fleece or lint-free cloth is usually sufficient.
14. Clean tools with Osmo Brush Cleaner (free of aromatic compounds).
Osmo Top Oil Tints
We offer all the colours and shades of Osmo Top Oil tints –
The clear shades are –
- 3068 Natural – This offers a natural look, so will look like an un-treated piece of wood but with the added protection needed to seal the timber. This is ideal on lighter shades of timber like Oak, Beech and Pine. This is not suitable on darker timbers.
- 3028 Satin – This enhances the tone of wood with a soft sheen and again will enhance the grain of the work top.
- 3058 Matt – This highlights the grain in the wood, whilst displaying the natural charm of the timber in a Matt sheen.
The top oil tints in order from light to dark are –
- 3037 White – This whitewash effect can be added to your worktop as it is very slightly tinted with white. This works really well for modern work surfaces and especially on Oak with an open grain.
- 3061 Acacia – This is offers a light tint of brown to offer a lovely warmth to your worktop.
- 3038 Terra – This is a darker brown tint that offers a rich finish.
- 3039 Graphite – This tint adds a darker grey tone for a more modern finish.
- The drying time is Approx. 8-10 hours (normal climatic conditions, 23 °C/50 % rel. humidity). Ventilate well while drying. Lower temperatures and/or higher air humidity may increase drying times.
- The product coverage for 1 coat is 24 m²/1 l. It depends significantly on the character of the wood. All information refers to smooth and planed/cut surfaces. Other surfaces may lead to deviations in coverage.
- Top Oil 3028 and Top Oil 3058 Clear enhances the tone of wood (permanent wet effect).
- Top Oil 3068 Natural counteracts exactly this effect and protects wood nearly invisibly. The natural colour tone of wood is preserved.
- On dark/reddish wood species, Top Oil 3068 Natural is visible as slightly white chalky surface.
- Applying the product too generously and insufficient ventilation lead to delays in drying time.
- For cabinet interiors and drawers, apply max. one coat thinly with a cloth.
- Allow for good ventilation while drying.
- If a higher gloss level is desired, after thoroughly drying apply Osmo Liquid Wax Cleaner (also available as Spray) thinly and polish when dry.
- Wood surfaces treated with Top Oil are easy to clean. Add Osmo Wash and Care concentrate to mop water and clean the surface with a damp (not wet!) cloth. Use Osmo Liquid Wax Cleaner to remove tough stains, which cleans and regenerates the surface at the same time.
- Store for 5 years and longer if stored in the closed original can. If thickened by frost, store at room temperature for 24 hours prior to use.
Health and safety
Keep out of reach of children. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Warning: Wash out any used cloth impregnated with this product immediately after use or store in an airtight container (danger of self-ignition). The dried finish is classified as B2 (normal flammability) according to DIN 4102 regulations. Safety data sheet available on request. Disposal: Dispose of leftover product and completely emptied packaging according to local official guidelines (waste code number 08 01 12). Only completely emptied cans can be recycled.
Safety Data Sheets