Liberon Pure Tung Oil is a quality pure and natural, non-toxic oil for wood care. Liberon Pure Tung Oil is Suitable for interior and exterior use as it is highly resistant to water, alcohol and food acids. It contains no added dryers and as it is a penetrating oil, it enhances the colour of your wood, offers excellent protection and ages charmingly to develop a natural patina. It is ideal for exterior Oak and interior wood such as tables, kitchen worktops, floor boards and it provides a long-lasting matt finish. Tung Oil can also be easily repaired as you can simply coat over the top.
Please Note – Tung Oil is extracted from nuts and may cause an allergic reaction.
How to use Liberon Pure Tung Oil
1. To get an indication of how the wood will look once oiled, test a similar piece of wood or discrete area by applying a wet cloth to the bare wood.
2. Ensure the wood is bare with no previous finish.
3. Shake the tin well before use. Apply Liberon Pure Tung Oil using a soft brush or lint-free cotton buffing cloth. As this is a thick material the oil can be thinned down using up to 50% white spirit for the first few applications.
4. Always apply in the direction of the grain.
5. Allow the Tung oil to penetrate for around 30 minutes and then wipe off any excess oil using a clean cloth.
6. Always allow the oil to dry for at least 24 hours between coats.
7. For best results and a smoother finish, gently rub with Ultra Fine Steel Wool (Grade 0000) between coats.
8. The final applications of Tung oil must be applied undiluted with at least two coats. After the final coat, leave for a at least seven days before use so it can dry fully.
9. Furniture that has been oiled can be finished with a good quality Wax Polish (non silicone only) to offer further protection and a smooth finish to your wood.
10. To maintain your finish, if waxed, simply re-wax when necessary. If un-waxed re apply the Tung Oil around twice per year but you can apply more if required (especially if outside and exposed to bad weather). External Woods must have sufficient amount of coats of oil to give the correct protection.
Important: Store Liberon Pure Tung Oil above 5°C. Always replace the lid when not in use. Oily cloths can self-combust so do not leave impregnated cloths in bundles. Before discarding the cloths lay them flat outside to dry to avoid a fire hazard. If the excess is not removed and the surface becomes sticky, wipe with white spirit to remove the sticky film and allow drying fully before continuing. Oil finishes bring out the natural colours of timber. A wet surface will be an indication of the final colour. Always test product on a spare surface or inconspicuous area for colour, compatibility and end result.
Tung Oil is extracted from nuts and may cause an allergic reaction.
Cleaning and maintenance
Apply at least once or twice a year or more if required, depending upon exposure to the weather and usage. On exposed external timbers it is important to apply sufficient coats of oil to give the initial protection.
Each 1 Litre covers approximately 10-12 m2
Clean equipment using White Spirit