Osmo Wood Protector is a clear, micro-porous wood impregnation based on natural oils and waxes without biocides or preservatives. Due to its high physical wood protection, it is well suited for coating wood that is susceptible to blue stain (like Pine Flooring, window frames and wood in bathrooms as well as exterior wood). Osmo Wood Protector is water-repellent, making it an ideal treatment for applications in wet rooms. This low viscosity impregnation should be, if possible, applied to all sides and requires a top coat within one week. For the top coat, Our Osmo wood coatings, for example Osmo Wood Wax Finish, Polyx Oil or Wood Wax Finish Clear Extra Thin, are well suited. When dry, finish is safe for humans, animals and plants and is suitable for children’s toys as per EN 71.3 (European norm) and is resistant to saliva and perspiration according to DIN 53160 (German industrial norm).
How to use Osmo Wood Protector
- Wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 18%). Osmo Wood Protector is ready to use, please do not thin.
- Stir well before use.
- Clean old microporous stains thoroughly.
- Old paints, varnishes and lacquers must be completely removed. Always wear a dusk mask while sanding.
- Fill small cracks, larger joints or holes in wood (with Osmo Wood Filler).
- Osmo Wood Protector is compatible with all conventional types of glue and putty (except for products containing silicon).
- The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
- Apply with a brush, roller or dip applications possible.
- Apply coating liberally, if possible on all sides to the clean, dry and frost-free wood.
- Dip application: dipping time approx. 2 minutes. Top coat should be applied within 1 week.
Ventilate well whilst using.
Application amount: 120-160 ml/m²
Cleaning of tools with Osmo Brush Cleaner (free of aromatic compounds).
Drying time: Approx. 24 hours (normal climatic conditions, 23 °C/50 % rel. humidity). Ventilate well while drying. Lower temperatures and/or higher air humidity may increase drying times.
Coverage: Product coverage for 1 coat is 6-8,4 m²/1 l. It depends significantly on the character of the wood. All information refers to smooth and planed/cut surfaces. Other surfaces may lead to deviations in coverage.
Note: Oils enhance the natural tone of wood (permanent wet effect). When using Osmo Wood Protector on large areas under Osmo One Coat Only HSPlus, glossy spots may appear because of the extremely high content of solids in this stain. Due to the strongly water repellent effect, do not coat with waterborne products (e.g. Interior Wax).
Safety Data Sheets
Health and safety
Caution: Keep out of reach of children. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Warning: Wash out any used cloth impregnated with this product immediately after use or store in an airtight container (danger of self-ignition). The dried finish is classified as B2 (normal flammability) according to DIN 4102 regulations. Safety data sheet available on request.
Ingredients: Based on natural plant oils (sunflower oil, thistle oil) and waxes, paraffin, siccatives (drying agents) and water-repellent additives. Volatile components: dearomatized white spirit (benzene-free). EU limit value for this product (cat. A/h): 750 g/l VOC (2010). This product contains max. 750 g/l VOC. Detailed declaration of ingredients available upon request.
Technical Data: Specific gravity: 0.84-0.86 g/cm³ Viscosity: 35-45s DIN EN ISO 2431/3 mm, viscid Odour: faint/mild, odourless after drying Flashpoint: > 61 °C, acc. DIN EN ISO 2719 pH value: not required Storage: 5 years and longer if stored in the closed original can. If thickened by frost, store at room temperature for 24 hours prior to use.