Hammerite Red Oxide Metal Primer produces a smooth protective base coat, ready for over-coating with minimal sanding. This metal primer has been specially formulated for use on both bare and rusty iron and steel. It can be used on interior or exterior Metal and is very quick drying. The high-performance anti-corrosive formulation can be used to treat BBQs, metal Fire Surrounds, Garage doors, Metal Garden furniture, Metal Railings, Gates and Radiators.
How to use Hammerite Red Oxide Metal Primer
- Ensure the metal surface to be treated is clean, dry and free from any dust, dirt, grease, flaking paint or rust.
- Remove loose rust and paint with a wire brush.
- Rub down with coarse abrasive paper to provide a firm surface.
- Abrade bare steel with coarse abrasive paper.
- De-grease all surfaces with Hammerite Brush Cleaner and Thinners and allow to dry.
- Before applying Hammerite Red Oxide Metal Primer always test a small area to ensure it adheres to the surface.
- Stir the paint thoroughly before use
- Apply with a brush.
- Apply 2 coats for best results
- Allowing 6 hours between coats
- A topcoat can be applied after a minimum of 6 hours but for best results allow 24 hours to fully cure.
- Red Oxide Primer can be over painted with Hammerite metal paint finishes.
Please note –
Coverage – 12 sq m per litre
Re-paintable after – 6 hours