Fiddes Black Polish is shellac based French polish traditionally used to produce a black, ebonised finish on wood. It will create a high gloss black sheen when using traditional French polishing techniques. It is also used to touch up and repair Chinoiserie or black lacquer.
How to use Fiddes Black Polish
For a full and comprehensive guide to French polishing please see our article here.
- Ensure the wood is bare and old finishes removed.
- Fill the grain with a grain filler.
- Stain the wood using a Fiddes Light Fast Water Concentrate in Black.
- Apply multiple, thin coats over a well sealed surface with a French polishing brush or polishing rubber.
- You can de-nib between coats with 0000 wire wool or 400 grit sand paper but ensure it is fully dry.
- Little or no oil should be used when applying with a rubber.
- This will produce a high gloss black coating with outstanding depth and sheen.
- For a high gloss finish allow to dry fully for 7 days then burnish with Priory polishes burnishing cream.
Please note –
Coverage – Approx. 8 square metres per litre
Drying time – 20-30 minutes per coat
Clean tools with Methylated spirit