Osmo Decking Oil will protect, enhance and maintain all decking boards in softwood and hardwood. Osmo Decking Oil will protect from weathering, moisture, cracking, splitting and warping. It is also perfect for treating wooden garden furniture and other exterior wood. This Transparent, tinted satin oil based finish is for all wood in outdoor areas. The micro-porous finish allows the wood to breathe and reduces swelling and shrinkage. It is a water repellent, extremely weatherproof and UV stable finish. Simply re-coat without sanding or primer with easy and seamless application. The finish stays workable while coating and the dry finish is safe for humans, animals and plants.
Osmo Decking Oils will protect and maintain timber, decking, garden furniture and privacy screens made of numerous coniferous and fine woods, such as pressure impregnated Pine, Douglas Fir, Cedar, Oakor Bangkirai. It is also suitable as a transparent colour treatment of Teak, Eucalyptus and other fine woods as well as thermally treated wood.
We offer the following shades –
007 Clear, 004 Douglas Fir, 006 Bangkirai, 009 Larch, 010 Thermowood, 013 Garapa, 014 Massaranduba, 016 Bangkirai Dark, 019 Grey and 021 Bog Oak.
How to use Osmo Decking Oil
- Wood species with a high content of natural wood extractives need to weather off (min. 4 weeks) before the initial treatment or be cleaned with Osmo Brush Cleaner and Thinner (degreaser).
- Resinous wood, such as Larch or Douglas Fir, needs to weather off for at least 6 weeks.
- Pressure impregnated wood, Massaranduba, Bangkirai or Garapa need to weather off for at least 3 months.
- Degrey any already greyed wood with Osmo Wood Reviver Power-Gel before applying Osmo Decking Oils.
- Wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 20%).
- Osmo Decking-Oil is ready to use. Do not thin. Stir well before use.
- Thoroughly clean or lightly sand old micro-porous stains or completely remove old varnishes before application. Always wear a dust mask when sanding.
- If possible, please apply the first coat to all sides before installation.
- The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
- If additional protection against blue stain, rot and insect attack is desired, pre-treat the wood, if possible on all sides, with Osmo WR Impregnation.
- Apply with an Osmo Flat Brush thinly and evenly to the clean and dry wood surface along wood grain.
- Wipe off any excess with a lint free cloth and allow to fully dry for around 24 hours.
- Apply a thin second coat.
- More coats may be added if needed but allow to fully dry between coats. To determine how much oil is needed, after each coat has dried, apply a droplet of oil in a corner. If it soaks into the wood, then a more coats of oil are needed. If the oil sits on the surface of the wood then it is fully treated.
Osmo Teak Oil is a clear finish and therefore offers only little protection against UV radiation (greying).
As a clear top coat for screens, we recommend UV Protection Oil Extra.
We recommend checking the finish at least once a year and to eventually re-coat the surface with the appropriate finish.
Due to their surface properties, ribbed or grooved as well as rough (sawn) wood surfaces absorb more product per square metre than smooth surfaces.
Many wood species contain water-soluble coloured extractives which may leach out naturally when weathered.
CLEANING OF TOOLS: With Osmo Brush Cleaner (free of aromatic compounds).
DRYING TIME: Approx. 12 hours (normal climatic conditions, 23°C/ 50% normal humidity). Lower temperatures and/or high humidity can increase the drying time. Ventilate well while drying.
COVERAGE: 1 litre covers approx. 24 m² with one coat. Coverage depends significantly on the condition of the wood. All information refers to smooth and planed/sanded surfaces. Other surfaces may lead to differences in coverage.
STORAGE: Up to 5 years and longer if can is kept dry and closed tightly. If thickened by frost, store for 24-36 hours at room temperature before use.
Health and safety
Keep out of reach of children. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Warning: Wash out any used cloth impregnated with this product immediately after use or store in an airtight container (danger of self ignition). The dried finish is classified as B2 (normal flammability) according to DIN 4102 regulations.
INGREDIENTS: Based on natural plant oils (sunflower oil and soya oil), iron oxide and organic pigments, siccatives (drying agents) and water-repellent additives. Volatile components: dearomatized white spirit (benzene-free). VOC limit according to EU-regulation (2004/42/EC): out of scope. Detailed declaration of ingredients available upon request.
Safety Data Sheets