Osmo Uv-Protection oil extra clear satin is ideal for protection against the sun. It is the first clear UV protection for the outdoors. This clear, satin wood finish is based on natural oil for wood in outdoor areas. The Micro porous surface allows the wood to breathe and reduces swelling and shrinkage. It is water-repellent, will not crack, peel or flake. As top coat on already colour treated wood, Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Extra prolongs the renovation intervals significantly. As a single product application, it blocks the greying process on vertical surfaces with a UV protection factor 12 in comparison to untreated wood when two coats are applied. Osmo UV Protection Oil Extra is furnished with active ingredients to protect the coating against mould, algae and fungal attack. Simply apply without sanding. It is easy and seamless application and the finish stays workable while coating.
Osmo UV-Protection Oil Extra is ideal for all vertical wood surfaces in outdoor areas: doors, windows, window shutters (dimensionally stable elements), carports, timber cladding, balconies, fences, pergolas, and summer houses (dimensionally unstable elements). It is also suitable for bamboo poles (e.g. in screens). It is based on natural plant oils (sunflower oil, soya oil, thistle oil and linseed oil), siccatives (drying agents) and additives, biocidal active ingredient: Propiconazole. Dearomatized white spirit (benzene-free).
How to use Osmo Uv-Protection oil extra clear
- The wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 20%).
- Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Exra is ready to use. Do not thin.
- Stir well before use.
- If possible, please apply the first coat to all sides before installation.
- Fresh wood, containing natural wood extractives and especially hard wood needs to weather off (for approximately 6 weeks) after installation. Thereby the wood becomes absorbent and the wood finish adheres optimally.
- A coloured base can be used, e.g. Osmo One Coat Only, Natural Oil Woodstain or Country Colour.
- For renovations, clean old microporous wood finishes thoroughly. De-grey any already greyed wood with Osmo Wood Reviver Power-Gel before applying Osmo Clean old microporous stains thoroughly.
- Old paints and lacquers must be completely removed.
- As a general rule, wear a dust mask during sanding works.
- Do not sand smooth surfaces finer than P120.
- The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
- If additional protection against blue stain, rot and insects is desired, pre-treat the wood if possible on all sides with Osmo WR Base Coat.
- Apply with Osmo Flat Brush and apply thinly along the wood grain and spread well.
- Allow to dry for approx. 12 hours under good ventilation.
- Then apply the second coat.
- When re-coating colour treated surfaces, or for renovation works, one coat applied to the clean and dry surface is usually sufficient.
Clean tools with Osmo Brush Cleaner (free of aromatic compounds).
DRYING TIME Approx. 12 hours (normal climatic conditions, 23 °C/ 50 % rel. humidity). Lower temperatures and/or higher air humidity can increase the drying time. Ventilate well while drying.
1 litre covers approx. 18 m² with one coat. Coverage depends significantly on the condition of the wood. All information refers to smooth and planed/ sanded surfaces. Other surfaces may lead to differences in coverage.
Oils enhance the natural tone of wood (permanent wet effect). Depending on the degree of weathering, apply one coat of Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Extra to the cleaned and intact finish after approx. 3-4 years.
For areas exposed to strong weathering, such as weatherboard, post caps or window sills, please expect significantly shorter renovation intervals.
Vertical elements mounted onto horizontal wood should have at least a 15 degree angle. Sharp edges must be rounded (radius > 2 mm).
If the greying process has already begun, de-grey the surface with Osmo Wood Reviver Power Gel and refinish with 2 coats of Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Extra.
To achieve the UV protection factor 12, it is necessary to apply 2 coats of UV-Protection-Oil Extra. With only one coat on untreated wood, the life of the coating is significantly shorter
Due to high oil content, the coating has a light yellowing effect when used as a top coat on white substrates. Therefore, we recommend using Natural Oil Woodstain 900 White as a top coat in such cases. Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Extra is furnished with biocides and therefore it is only to be used in outdoor areas. The added active ingredients delay or minimize the risk of algae and fungal attack.
For effective protection, two coats are to be carried out. In accordance with the latest technical research, permanent protection against algae and fungal attack cannot be provided.
Dispose of leftover product and completely emptied packaging according to local official guidelines (waste code number 08 01 11). Only completely emptied cans can be recycled.
STORAGE Up to 5 years and longer if can is kept dry and closed tightly. If thickened by frost, store for 24-36 hours at room temperature before use.
Health and Safety
Keep out of the reach of children. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Contains propiconazole. May produce an allergic reaction. If medical advice is need-ed, have product container or label at hand. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects. Avoid release to the environment. Warning: Wash out any used cloth impregnated with this product immediately after use or store in an airtight container (danger of self-ignition). The dried finish is classified as B2 (normal flammability) according to DIN 4102 regulations. Safety data sheet available on request. TECHNICAL DATA Specific gravity: 0.9-1.0 g/cm³ Viscosity: >50s DIN EN ISO 2431/3 mm, viscid Odour: faint/mild, odourless after drying Flash point: >60 °C acc. DIN EN ISO 2719