Osmo UV-Protection Oil Extra – Tints, offers a UV protective wood finish for exterior wood to protect against the sun. This is a transparent, lightly pigmented and satin, natural oil based wood finish for exterior use. The microporous surface allows the wood to breathe and reduces swelling and shrinkage. It creates a water-repellent surface that will not crack, peel, flake or blister. As a single product application, it blocks the greying process on vertical surfaces with a UV protection factor 12 in comparison to untreated wood when two coats are applied. Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Tints is furnished with active ingredients to protect the coating against mould, algae and fungal attack. Without sanding, simply re-coat with easy and seamless application. Finish stays workable while coating. Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Tints is ideal for all vertical wood surfaces in outdoor areas: doors, windows, window shutters (dimensionally stable elements), carports, timber cladding, balconies, fences, pergolas, and summer houses (dimensionally unstable elements). Also suitable for bamboo poles (e.g. in screens).
We offer Clear, Spruce, Oak, Larch, Douglas Fir, Cedar, Natural, Light Red Cedar and Light Oak.
How to use Osmo UV-Protection Oil – Tints
- The wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 20%).
- UV-Protection-Oil Tints is ready to use. Do not thin. Stir well before use.
- If possible, please apply first coat to all sides before installation.
- For renovation works, clean old microporous stains thoroughly – if necessary sand lightly.
- Clean and restore already greyed or weathered wood at the same time with Osmo Wood Reviver Power-Gel.
- Old paints and lacquers must be completely removed.
- As a general rule, wear a dust mask during sanding works. Do not sand smooth surfaces finer than grit P120.
- The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
- Fresh, especially hardwood rich in extractives needs to weather off for approximately 6 weeks after installation. Thereby the wood becomes absorbent and the oil finish adheres optimally.
- If additional protection against blue stain, rot and insects is desired, pre-treat the wood if possible on all sides with Osmo WR Base Coat.
- Apply with an Osmo Flat Brush or Microfibre Roller, apply thinly along the wood grain and spread well.
- Allow to dry for approx. 12 hours under good ventilation.
- Then apply the second coat.
- Alternatively the second coat can also be carried out with UV-Protection-Oil Extra Clear.
- When re-coating colour treated surfaces, or for renovation works, one coat applied to the clean and dry surface is usually sufficient.
Please note –
Oils enhance the natural tone of wood (permanent wet effect).
Depending on the degree of weathering, apply one coat of Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Tints to the cleaned and intact finish after approx. 3-4 years.
For areas exposed to strong weathering, such as weatherboard, post caps or window sills, please expect significantly shorter renovation intervals.
Vertical elements mounted onto horizontal wood should have at least a 15 degree angle.
Sharp edges must be rounded (radius > 2 mm).
If the greying process has already begun, de-grey the surface with Osmo Wood Reviver Power Gel and refinish with 2 coats of Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Tints.
To achieve the UV protection factor 12, it is necessary to apply 2 coats of UV-Protection-Oil Extra – Tints.
With only one coat on untreated wood, the life of the coating is significantly shorter. Osmo UV-Protection-Oil Tints is furnished with biocides and therefore it is only to be used in outdoor areas.
The added active ingredients delay or minimise the risk of algae and fungal attack. For effective protection, two coats are to be carried out. In accordance with the latest technical research, permanent protection against algae and fungal attack cannot be provided.
STORAGE – Up to 5 years and longer if can is kept dry and closed tightly. If thickened by frost, store for 24-36 hours at room temperature before use.
Clean tools with Osmo Brush Cleaner (free of aromatic compounds).
DRYING TIME – Approx. 12 hours (normal climatic conditions, 23 °C/ 50 % rel. humidity). Lower temperatures and/or higher air humidity can increase the drying time. Ventilate well while drying.
COVERAGE 1 litre covers approx. 18 m² with one coat. Coverage depends significantly on the condition of the wood. All information refers to smooth and planed/ sanded surfaces. Other surfaces may lead to differences in coverage.
Dispose of leftover product and completely emptied packaging according to local official guidelines (waste code number 08 01 11). Only completely emptied cans can be recycled.
Health and Safety
Keep out of the reach of children. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Contains propiconazole. May produce an allergic reaction. If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects. Avoid release to the environment. Warning: Wash out any used cloth impregnated with this product immediately after use or store in an airtight container (danger of self-ignition). Safety data sheet available on request.
INGREDIENTS Based on natural plant oils (sunflower oil, soya oil, thistle oil and linseed oil), siccatives (drying agents) and additives, biocidal active ingredient: Propiconazole. Dearomatized white spirit (benzene-free). EU limit value for this product (cat. A/e): 400 g/l VOC (2010). This product contains max. 400 g/l VOC.
Safety Data Sheets