Rustins Floor Oil is for use on all types of interior wood floors, including floor boards and parquet flooring. Rustins Floor Oil has been made using a mixture of natural vegetable oils and resins. This floor oil will improve the colour of bare wood and create an attractive, durable finish that brings out the beauty of the timber. It is very easy to apply and maintain.
How to use Rustins Floor Oil
- The bare wood must be clean, smooth, dry and free from wax, dust and contaminants. Remove wax by scrubbing with White Spirit and a scouring pad, then wipe away whilst still wet with clean rags.
- Existing coatings should be removed by sanding, after cleaning as above. Oily woods (e.g. Teak, Iroko) may be wiped with White Spirit to improve the penetration of Floor Oil.
- Nail holes and narrow gaps may be filled with a Wood Filler. Do not apply Knotting.
- Shake well before use.
- Using a brush or roller apply liberally and evenly.
- If after about 10 minutes any pools of oil remain, remove by spreading evenly onto the surrounding areas using a sponge or lint free rag, in order to obtain an even finish.
- Some wood may darken significantly when Floor Oil is applied, particularly old and reclaimed wood. To ensure the result is as desired, coat a test area before proceeding. If a different shade is preferred, the bare wood can be stained with Rustins Wood Dye. If other brands of dye or stain are to be used, test before proceeding.
- Apply a minimum of 3 coats initially.
- Allow 4-8 hours between coats depending on the temperature and humidity.
Please note –
Drying Time 4-8 hours depending on the temperature and humidity.
Application Temp. Ideally 15-25°C, do not apply below 5°C.
Coverage About 13 sq.m per Litre, 1 coat, depending on the absorbency of the wood.
Maintenance – The floor should be vacuumed or swept then cleaned with a well-wrung cloth or mop, using a mild detergent solution. Dirt and scratches are removed by rubbing with a plastic scouring pad. If the surface has become dull or worn it may be revived, after cleaning, by re-oiling.
Clean brushes with White Spirit or Rustin’s Brush Cleaner whilst still wet. Hard brushes can be cleaned with Rustin,s Brush Restorer. Hardened Oil can be reomoved using Rustins Strypit
Compatibility – Floor Oil may be used over the following Rustins products. Wood Dye, Grain Filler, and Wood Filler. Wood Dye can also be added to Floor Oil.
Shelf-life/Storage – Many years if stored in original, tightly closed container in normal cool, dry conditions.
Health and Safety
Flammable. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Use in a well-ventilated area. Keep out of reach of children. Keep away from sources of ignition – no smoking. Keep container tightly closed. Rags used for oiling should be laid out flat to dry, otherwise they may catch fire due to spontaneous combustion.