Rustins Wood Dye is a quick drying, penetrating wood stain for use on all new or stripped wood. It is easy to apply and will not raise the grain. It is for use on bare wood prior to finishing with any of Rustins wood finishes. We offer many different shades that can also be intermixed and this wood dye is suitable for interior or exterior use.
We offer Pine, Light Oak, Brown Mahogany, Medium Oak, Dark Oak, Dark Teak, Walnut and Ebony
How to use Rustins Wood Dye
- The surface must be clean, smooth, dry and dust free. Any existing coating must be removed before the application, preferably with a paint remover such as Rustins Strypit Paint & Varnish Stripper. The best method is to sand the area, but if it has been waxed at any time, it is essential that the wax and any other contamination is removed using a course Steel Wool and white spirit. wipe off the solution of wax formed with a clean rag and allow to dry before sanding. If the wax is not removed, sanding may force the wax further into the wood causing adhesion and drying problems.
- Any imperfections in the wood can be filled with a wood filler.
- If purchasing more than one container of rustins wood dye, to dye a large area, mix the contents together in a larger container before use to ensure that there is no variation in shade.
- Stir well before and during use until there is no sediment on the bottom of the tin.
- Apply the rustins wood dye evenly with a clean dry cloth in a warm dry atmosphere.
- On soft absorbent wood a second coat may be applied.
- Hard woods should only be given one coat.
- If more are applied the extra coats may not penetrate and will rub off.
- Where a lighter shade is required, the dye may be diluted with white spirit. Dilution must not exceed 2 parts dye to 1 part white spirit.
- All colours can be intermixed to make other shades
Please note –
The final colour achieved depends on the original colour of the Wood and the type of coating/finish applied over the dye.
Application Temp. Ideally 15-25°C.
Coverage Up to 24 sq.m per litre, per coat, depending on the absorbency of the wood.
Clean-Up Equipment can be cleaned using White Spirit.
Compatibility – Can be used under all Rustins wood finishes, such as Quick Drying Varnish, Polyurethane Varnish, Rustins Danish Oil, Teak Oil, French Polish/Shellac. It can be mixed with Rustin’s Polyurethane Varnish, Danish Oil and Teak Oil at up to 20%. However, the best result is achieved by application of dye to bare wood.
Shelf-life/Storage – Many years if stored in original, tightly closed container, in a cool dry place.
Health and safety
Flammable. Harmful. May cause lung damage if swallowed. Keep out of reach of children. Use only in well-ventilated areas. If swallowed do not induce vomiting; seek medical advice immediately and show the container. Keep away from sources of ignition.