Rustins Teak Oil is a blend of oils (including Tung oil), resins and driers, formulated to produce an attractive and durable finish. The finish is gloss. For a satin finish, use Rustins Danish Oil. Used for all interior and exterior bare wood, doors, joinery, garden and indoor furniture. It brings out the natural beauty of wood and veneered surfaces. This gives a natural open-grained lustrous finish and is easy to maintain. It conforms to Safety of Toys Regulations BS EN 71 Part 3 1995.
How to use Rustins Teak Oil
- The wood must be clean, smooth, dry and free from wax, dust and contaminants.
- Some hardwoods such as Iroko and Teak are naturally oily woods and this should be removed by scrubbing with white spirit or Rustins Surface Cleaner and a scouring pad, then wipe away whilst still wet with clean rags.
- Existing paint and varnishes should be removed with Rustins Strypit Paint and Varnish Stripper.
- Bare wood may be dyed before coating with a Wood Dye.
- It is recommended that oak is first treated with Rustins Clear Advanced Wood Preserver to prevent dark staining caused by mould, inherent in oak. Do not apply Knotting
- Shale well before use
- Apply Rustins Teak Oil liberally with a clean rag or brush and wipe off the surplus oil after a few minutes.
- On exterior wood, the first coat should be applied liberally with a brush and allowed to dry without wiping.
- Nibs may be removed from the final coat by applying the oil with a scouring pad, rubbing in the direction of the grain, then wiping away the surplus with clean rags.
- Bare wood requires 3 coats. Exterior wood will require extra coats
Drying Time takes 4-6 hours depending on temperature and humidity
Re-coating Time a minimum of 4-6 hours depending on temperature and humidity
Ideal application Temperature is Ideally 15-25°C, do not apply below 10°C or if rain is expected The coverage is approximately 14sq.m per litre, 1 coat, depending on the absorbency of the wood
Periodic re-oiling is required. For use outdoors re-oiling should be carried out annually.
Clean surfaces before re-oiling using white spirit.
The dye may also be added to the Teak Oil (max 30%), which may also be used as a wood primer before applying undercoat.
Rustins Polyurethane Varnish may be applied over the Teak Oil at any time. The surface must be clean before varnishing
Store in the original container, tightly closed in normal cool, dry conditions
Clean brushes with white spirit or Rustins Brush Cleaner whilst still wet. If dried on, clean brushes with Rustins Brush Restorer
Health and safety
Flammable. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Use in a well ventilated area. Keep out of reach of children. Keep away from sources of ignition – no smoking. Keep container tightly closed. Rags used for oiling should be laid out flat to dry; otherwise they may catch fire due to spontaneous combustion.