Polyx Oil Effect comes in two unique shades, 3092 Gold or 3091 Silver in 750ml. Osmo Polyx Oil in Silver or Gold is most suitable to create a decorative finish on dark wood surfaces like flooring or dark furniture surfaces. It creates a transparent wood finish that uniquely combines the advantages of natural oils and waxes in one product. The added pigments create a unique surface effect. Osmo Polyx Oil Effect is stain-resistant, water-repellent and abrasion-resistant. In comparison to conventional finishes, the use of plant ingredients creates a more even colour and more harmonious appearance. No primer or intermediate sanding is needed and the micro porous surface will not crack, peel, flake or blister. It is resistant against wine, beer, cola, coffee, tea, fruit juice, milk and water in accordance with German DIN 68861-1A – no water spots. The dry finish is safe for humans, animals and plants (resistant to saliva and perspiration acc. German DIN 53160, suitable for children‘s toys acc. EN 71.3).
How to use Polyx Oil Effect – Gold or Silver
- Wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 18%).
- Polyx Oil Effect Gold or Silver is ready to use. Do not thin. Stir well before use.
- Clean old micro porous stains thoroughly.
- Old paints and lacquers must be completely removed. As a general rule, wear a dust mask during sanding works.
- Fill small cracks, larger joints or holes in wood with Osmo Wood Filler.
- Sand wood surfaces carefully. Begin with coarse sandpaper – final sanding work for flooring P120-150, for furniture P180-240.
- Before oiling the surface, remove sanding dust with a broom or vacuum.
- For dark wood species use an Osmo Flat Brush and apply thinly along the wood grain. Spread well.
- Allow to dry for approx. 24 hours under good ventilation.
- After drying, apply a second coat with a clear Osmo Polyx Oil.
- For lightly coloured wood, To make the desired effect visible, apply Osmo Wood Wax Finish Black 3169 thinly along the wood grain with Osmo Floor Brush. Spread well and rub into wood with a single disc machine.
- Allow to dry for at least 24 hours with good ventilation.
- Afterwards, apply Osmo Polyx Oil Effect Silver or Gold with Osmo Floor Brush also thinly and quickly.
- Allow to dry for at least 24 hours under good ventilation.
- Finally, apply a top coat very thinly with a clear Osmo Polyx Oil.
Please note –
Clean Tools with Osmo Brush Cleaner (free of aromatic compounds).
DRYING TIME Approx. 24 hours (normal climatic conditions, 23 °C/ 50 % rel. humidity). Lower temperatures and/or higher air humidity can increase the drying time. Ventilate well while drying.
The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
After 2-3 weeks, surface is fully cured.
1 litre covers approx. 30 m² with one coat. Coverage depends significantly on the condition of the wood. All information refers to smooth and planed/ sanded surfaces. Other surfaces may lead to differences in coverage.
Oils enhance the natural tone of wood (permanent wet effect). Applying the product too generously and insufficient ventilation lead to delays in drying time.
For hardwoods rich in extractives (e.g. Wenge, Merbau, Jatoba etc.), we recommend using Osmo Wood Wax Finish Clear Extra Thin. A trial application is recommended.
Caution: Apply max. one coat thinly to cabinet interiors and drawers with a cloth. On lightly coloured wood species, it is hardly visible without the application of a coloured base coat.
STORAGE Up to 5 years and longer if can is kept dry and closed tightly. If thickened by frost, store for 24-36 hours at room temperature before use.
Health and safety
CAUTION – Flammable liquid and vapour. Keep out of reach of children. Keep away from heat/open flames. No smoking. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Warning: Wash out any used cloth impregnated with this product immediately after use or store in an airtight container (danger of self-ignition). The dried finish is classified as B2 (normal flammability) according to DIN 4102 regulations. Safety data sheet available on request.
INGREDIENTS – Based on natural plant oils and waxes (sunflower oil, soya oil, thistle oil, carnauba wax and candelilla wax), paraffin, effect pigments, siccatives (drying agents) and water-repellent additives. Dearomatized white spirit (benzene-free). EU limit value for this product (cat. A/i): 500 g/l VOC (2010). This product contains max. 500 g/l VOC.
Safety Data Sheets