Osmo Polyx Oil Effect Raw is the renowned Polyx Oil without the permanent wet effect. It is a transparent, matt wood finish that uniquely combines the advantages of natural oils and waxes in one product. Osmo Polyx Oil Effect Raw is stain-resistant, water-repellent, abrasion-resistant and results in a surface that is pleasant to the touch. In comparison to conventional finishes, the use of plant ingredients creates a more even colour and more harmonious appearance. It offers simple application without primer or intermediate sanding, this saves time and money. It is suitable for wood and the water-repellent surface will not crack, peel, flake or blister. It is resistant against wine, beer, cola, coffee, tea, fruit juice, milk and water in accordance with German DIN 68861-1A – no water spots. The dry finish is safe for humans, animals and plants (resistant to saliva and perspiration acc. German DIN 53160, suitable for children‘s toys acc. EN 71.3
Osmo Polyx Oil Effect Raw is suitable for the protection and the nearly invisible surface finishing of lightly coloured wood in indoor areas, such as wooden flooring and furniture surfaces. It is based on natural plant oils and waxes (sunflower oil, soya oil, thistle oil, carnauba wax and candelilla wax), paraffin, titanium dioxide white pigment, siccatives (drying agents) and water-repellent additives. Dearomatized white spirit (benzene-free). EU limit value for this product (cat. A/i): 500 g/l VOC (2010). This product contains max. 500 g/l VOC.
How to Use Osmo Polyx Oil Effect Raw
- The wood surface must be clean, dry and frost-free (moisture content max. 18%).
- Osmo Polyx Oil Effect Raw is ready to use. Do not thin.
- Stir well before use.
- Clean old micro-porous stains thoroughly. Old paints and lacquers must be completely removed.
- As a general rule, wear a dust mask during sanding works.
- Fill small cracks, larger joints or holes in wood with a Wood Filler.
- Sand wood surfaces carefully. Begin with coarse sandpaper – final sanding work for flooring P120- 150, for furniture P180-240.
- Before oiling the surface, remove sanding dust with a broom or vacuum cleaner.
- The finished surface is influenced by several factors, including the condition of the wood. Therefore, a trial application is always required, especially for unfamiliar surfaces.
- Apply with with Osmo Flat Brush or Osmo Floor Brush.
- Apply thinly along the wood grain and spread well.
- Allow to dry for approx. 24 hours under good ventilation.
- After drying, quickly apply a second coat also thinly.
- When renovating or re-coating an already oiled surface, one coat applied to the clean and dry surface is usually sufficient.
Please note –
Clean tools with Osmo Brush Cleaner (free of aromatic compounds).
The drying time is approximately 24 hours (normal climatic conditions, 23 °C/50 % rel. humidity). Lower temperatures and/or higher air humidity can increase the drying time.
Ventilate well while drying.
After 2-3 weeks, surface is fully cured.
Store up to 5 years and longer if can is kept dry and closed tightly. If thickened by frost, store for 24-36 hours at room temperature before use.
Polyx®-Oil Effect Raw protects wood nearly invisibly. On dark/reddish wood species, the oil is visible as slightly white chalky surface.
Applying the product too generously and insufficient ventilation lead to delays in drying time and the typical smell of oil.
Any brushstrokes can be removed with an unused dry Microfibre Roller within 30 minutes after applying.
The natural colour tone of wood is preserved , it does not enhance the tone of wood, no permanent wet effect.
A trial application is always recommended.
The coverage of 1 litre covers approx. 30 m² with one coat. Coverage depends significantly on the condition of the wood. All information refers to smooth and planed/ sanded surfaces. Other surfaces may lead to differences in coverage
For extractive rich hardwoods (e.g. Wenge, Merbau, Jatoba etc.), we recommend using Osmo Wood Wax Finish Clear Extra Thin. A trial application is recommended.
Apply max. one coat thinly to cabinet interiors and drawers with an osmo cloth.
Dispose of leftover product and completely emptied packaging according to local official guidelines (waste code number 08 01 11). Only completely emptied cans can be recycled.
Health and safety
Keep out of the reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes, skin or clothes. If medical advice is necessary please show the container or label. Use only outside or in well ventilated areas. Caution: Wash out any cloth impregnated with this product immediately or store in an airtight container (Danger of self-ignition). The dried finish is classified as B2 (normal flammability) according to DIN 4102 regulations. TECHNICAL DATA Specific gravity: 0.94-0.96 g/cm³ Viscosity: >70s DIN EN ISO 2431/3 mm, thixotropic Odour: faint/mild, after drying odourless Flash point: >60°C acc. DIN EN ISO 2719
Safety Data Sheets