Rustins Button Polish has been made using Shellac dissolved in alcohol. It is used when French Polishing wood where a more warm or golden tone is required. It is also suitable for sealing wood before waxing. When applied correctly button polish will produce a high gloss finish. Alcohol evaporates rapidly leaving a film of shellac on the surface of the timber.
How to use Rustins Button Polish
- Wood should be clean and smooth.
- If grain is open, fill with Rustins Grainfiller.
- Furniture that is to be renovated should be cleaned with White Spirit and fine steel wool to ensure that it is free from grease and wax.
- Use a suitable wood stain if required.
- Apply with a French polishing brush or polishing rubber.
- For more detailed instructions on French Polishing please see our Guide to French Polishing.
- Apply as many coats as required to build a sufficient layer of shellac.
- Leave 24 hours after last coat for the polish to harden.
Please note –
Apply in a warm, dry atmosphere, ideally 15- 25 ºC
Every 1 Litre will cover 13-15 sq metres depending on how open grain and dry the wood is.
Store the product in a cool place. It is important to replace the lid and ensure an airtight seal.
All equipment must be cleaned whilst wet with Methylated Spirits
Always test in a small inconspicuous area first to ensure you are happy with the results.
Always wear protective gloves when using this product.
Health and Safety
Highly Flammable. Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed. Keep out of reach of children. Keep container tightly closed. Keep away from sources of ignition-No smoking. Do not breathe vapour. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately.