Fiddes Garnet Polish is Shellac based and creates a more rich and darker shade adding to the depth of colour of your wood. This is often used on antique furniture as it offers a more genuine French polished look, especially on Oak. It can helps to mask the grain but also create a beautiful sheen.
How to use Fiddes Garnet Polish
For a full and comprehensive guide to French polishing please see our article here.
- Ensure the wood is bare and old finishes removed.
- Fill the grain with a grain filler.
- Stain the wood if necessary.
- Seal the wood using a shellac sealer.
- Apply multiple, thin coats over a well sealed surface with a French polishing brush or polishing rubber.
- You can de-nib between coats with 0000 wire wool or 400 grit sand paper but ensure it is fully dry.
- For a high gloss finish allow to dry fully for 7 days then burnish with Priory polishes burnishing cream.
Please note –
Coverage – Approx. 8 square metres per litre
Drying time – 20-30 minutes per coat
Clean tools with Methylated spirit