Fiddes Button Polish is made from fine, unbleached Shellac flakes to create a warm rich golden shade when using as a French polish. This is one of the most popular finishes used by antique restorers and Cabinet Makers as it is easy to use and creates a beautiful finish.
How to use Fiddes Button Polish
For a full and comprehensive guide to French polishing please see our article here.
- Ensure the wood is bare and old finishes removed.
- Fill the grain with a grain filler if necessary.
- Seal the wood using a shellac sealer.
- Apply multiple, thin coats over a well sealed surface with a French polishing brush or polishing rubber.
- You can de-nib between coats with 0000 wire wool or 400 grit sand paper but ensure it is fully dry.
- For a high gloss finish allow to dry fully for 7 days then burnish with Priory polishes burnishing cream.
- Finish with a coat Wax Polish to further protect and enhance the natural beauty of your wood.
Please note –
Coverage – Approx. 8 square metres per litre
Drying time – 20-30 minutes per coat
Clean tools with Methylated spirit