Colron Wood Dye is a water based acrylic wood stain designed to highlight the natural beauty of wood. Colron Refined Wood Dye is available in a range of traditional colours that compliment any interior wood. This wood dye provides a long lasting, fade resistant, rich depth of colour for the decoration of interior woods and is low odour, with rapid drying times. One coat is normally sufficient however the depth of colour can be increased by the application of further coats. Colron Refined Wood Dye is recommended for the colouring of most interior wood including furniture, tables, floors, doors, skirting boards and wood paneling.
How to use Colron Wood Dye
- Ensure that wood is bare, clean, dry and free of any dust, dirt or other surface contaminants.
- Any previously applied finish such as paint, varnish, seal polish or wax must be completely removed. Prepare the surface well.
- Colron Refined Wood Dye and compatible varnishes provide a transparent finish any marks, blemishes or stains in the substrate will show through. Any discoloured wood should be sanded until an original surface is visible. Sand lightly in the direction of the grain taking care not to oversand or “polish” the surface. Oily hardwoods such as teak, resinous areas and knots should be thoroughly washed with white spirit.
- Remove any dust using a brush or vacuum cleaner and wipe the surface using a cloth soaked with white spirit. Allow to dry thoroughly. Test colour on a small but representative area or off-cut prior to application.
- Shake bottle well before use
- Colron Wood Dye can be applied with a soft lint free cloth or sponge.
- When treating large areas such as doors or floors apply the dye one length of floorboard or a section of door at a time to avoid overlaps, work quickly to maintain a wet edge.
- Application by cloth or sponge will result in a lighter shade.
- A one coat application is normally sufficient, but colour may be intensified and a more even finish achieved by the application of further coats.
- Allow 1 hour between coats.
- Do not apply more than three coats.
- Once you are happy with the colour, Seal the dye using the appropriate finish.
Please note –
COVERAGE Up to 16m²/litre. Coverage rate will vary depending on the absorbency of the substrate.
DRYING TIME – Colron Refined Wood Dye is touch dry in 20 minutes and can be over-coated after 1 hour. Drying and re-coating times may vary with temperature, relative humidity and absorbency of the substrate.
CLEANING OF TOOLS – All equipment should be cleaned immediately after use with water and detergent. Remove as much product as possible from equipment prior to cleaning.
Do not use Colron Wood Dye on plastic type materials, such as linoleum, thermoplastics, asphalt and PVC rubber, etc.
Clean splashes and spillages with water and detergent whilst wet.
Do not apply in direct sunlight. Do not apply in temperatures below 10°C or in high humidity.
Certain tropical hardwoods have surfaces which may prevent full absorbency.
If a number of individual packs of Colron Wood Dye are to be used at the same time, always mix the contents of all packs together to avoid the possibility of slight colour variations.
Colron Refined Wood Dye has minimal obliterative properties and its use will always darken wood. The final colour depends on the type, colour and absorbency of the substrate.
Always test for colour suitability on a small, inconspicuous but representative area.
All Colron Refined Wood Dyes are inter-mixable for colour matching purposes.
When constructing new woodwork or rebuilding old, take care to ensure no excess adhesive is squeezed from joints over adjoining areas, as this will prevent absorption of Wood Dye, resulting in lighter coloured patches.
STORAGE – Store in a cool, dry, well ventilated place away from heat and sources of ignition. Store upright and carefully reseal partly used containers. The shelf life of the product in airtight containers is at least 3 years. Protect from frost. Store above 5°C.
DISPOSAL – Some local authorities have special facilities for the disposal of waste paints/varnishes. Do not empty product into drains or watercourses.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Observe and follow all warnings and instructions for use shown on the pack. Use only in well ventilated areas. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. After contact with skin, wash immediately with plenty of soap and water or a proprietary skin cleaner. Wear suitable gloves. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. Protect from frost. Keep out of reach of children. Specific health and safety data sheets are available on request.