Brass loses its shine due to age, oxygen, water and everyday elements and this causes tarnish. Our simple Brass Cleaning Solution will bring the shine back to your piece and restore the brass to be usable again.
How to use Priory no1 Brass Cleaning Solution
- Always use this product in a well ventilated area and wear protective gloves.
- For standard brass cleaning, mix 1 measure of the solution with up to seven measures of cold water in a suitable container, eg. polythene. You can make this solution stronger if the item is heavily tarnished.
- Submerge the brass fully into the solution and leave for around 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, lightly rub over the areas using a brush or 0000 steel wool.
- Re submerge and repeat around every 30 minutes until you are happy with the results and all the tarnish has been removed
- For very stubborn dirt and tarnish, several applications may be required.
- Once all tarnish is removed, rinse thoroughly with water then polish in the usual way.
- Optional – Seal the Brass using our jade oil or Brass lacquer.
- This solution can also be used for Ultrasonic Cleaning. Simply dilute 1 measure of solution to 8 measures of water.
Please note –
This is for solid Brass only, not brass plated items.
This brass cleaning solution will only work on Brass with no sealant or lacquer
Always test the cleaning solution on a small, inconspicuous area to ensure it is suitable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Brass Cleaning Solution be used with an Ultrasonic Cleaner?
Yes, This solution can be used for Ultrasonic Cleaning and you can get some amazing results. You just need to do a slightly weaker solution so dilute with 1 measure of solution to 8 measures of water.
Can you clean antique brass with this solution?
Yes, this was actually designed for the cleaning of antique clock movements, but it works so well it is used for a variety of objects. It has been used by the antiques trade for restoring Brass for many years.
Does the solution smell?
As this is Ammoniated it does smell strong so this is why you should only use this in a well ventilated area.
Will the Ammonia remove lacquer on brass?
No, if your brass is lacquered the solution will not work correctly as it will not penetrate the layer of lacquer. You can use special solvents or paint strippers to remove this.
Health and Safety
AS WITH ALL CHEMICALS ALWAYS USE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING. Avoid inhaling the vapour. Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes, face, hair and skin. Ensure good ventilation of your work station. Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking. Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product. Always wash hands after handling the product.