Our Ammoniated clock cleaning solution is for the for cleaning of clock movements along with many other Brass, Copper and Bronze Objects. It will remove grease, oil, dirt and tarnish on Brass and Copper. With our unique recipe, it has been used for many years by specialist clock restorers to clean clock parts and movements.
How to use Ammoniated Clock Cleaning fluid
- For standard cleaning, mix 1 measure of the clock cleaning fluid with 7 measures of cold water in a suitable container, eg. polythene.
- Submerge the clock mechanism or brass/copper parts fully into the mixture until all tarnish is removed
- For best results, soak for around thirty minutes and then lightly rub over the areas using a brush or 0000 wire wool.
- re submerge and repeat around every 30 minutes until you are happy with the results.
- For very stubborn dirt and tarnish, several applications may be required.
- Once all tarnish is removed, rinse thoroughly with water then polish in the usual way.
- For a detailed step by step instructions on cleaning clock mechanisms, see our article here.
For light soiling or Ultrasonic applications dilute 1 measure of fluid to 8 measures of water
Once complete, we recommend using Priory Polishes Clock Oil.
To clean your clock case we offer an amazing cleaner here. It revives and cleans without damaging the Patina on your wood.
This Ammoniated clock cleaning solution, does NOT contain Xylene.
We do offer a Non ammonia cleaner for very early clocks or for a milder cleaner.
When not in use, store on an air tight container. Once opened, use within six months.
Always test in a small inconspicuous area first to ensure you are happy with the results.
Always wear protective gloves when using this product.
Q: will this cleaning solution harm metal springs etc in clock mechanism’s as mine is 100 years old and has 2 springs and I don’t want to dismantle if possible?
A: We have been selling this product for many years to clock restorers and haven’t heard of any issues, for best results restorers usually recommend to take the clocks to pieces but this isn’t always necessary. We do also supply a Non ammoniated concentrate which is not quite as abrasive.
Health and safety.
AS WITH ALL CHEMICALS ALWAYS USE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING. Avoid inhaling the vapour. Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes, face, hair and skin. Ensure good ventilation of your work station. Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking. Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product. Always wash hands after handling the product.