Rustins Wood Hardener is a solvent-based moisture-curing polymer solution designed to penetrate deeply and harden rotten or decayed wood. Once fully dried, it strengthens and reinforces the deteriorated wood to support the use of wood filler and provide a seal against further moisture penetration. Rustins Wood Hardener is suitable for interior and exterior use. It extends the life of rotted wood, therefore being a cost effective alternative to wood replacement. It can dry in 2 hours to allow rapid completion of repair work.
How to use Rustins Wood Hardener
- Remove loose, decayed or very soft wood until a fairly sound base is exposed.
- Rustins Wet Rot Wood Hardener is moisture-hardened, however the wood should be reasonably dry and free from grease, dirt and oil.
- Shake well before use.
- Apply liberally by brush, saturating the wood.
- Wait until each coat has been absorbed by the wood and re-apply. Ideally this should be done as a continuous process for maximum penetration depending on the absorbency of the wood. Leave a minimum of 5 minutes between coats.
- Continue with repeated applications until a surface film is formed.
- Allow a minimum of 2 hours before applying Rustins Wood Filler over the Wet Rot Wood Hardener or until hardener film becomes fairly touch-dry.
Please note –
The ideal application temperature is between 15 – 25ºC. Do not apply below 10ºC.
Avoid contact with metal, glass, plastic and painted surfaces.
This is a moisture-hardened product so storage life of opened tins is limited.
Clean equipment with Rustins Cellulose Thinners.
Turpentine or White Spirit is unsuitable.
Always test in a small inconspicuous area first to ensure you are happy with the results.
Always wear protective gloves when using this product.
Health and Safety
Hazards Flammable. Irritant. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wear protective gloves and eye protection. In case of contact with eyes, immediately rinse with plenty of water and seek medical attention. After contact with skin, wash immediately with soap and water or a suitable skin cleanser. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid ignition sources. Do not inhale vapour.