Brummer Exterior Wood Filler is a paste based on fillers, pigments and binder. It is available in a vast array of coloured including White, Pine, Light Oak, Natural Oak, Medium Oak, Dark Oak, Dark Mahogany, Teak, Ebony and Beech. It is used to fill nail holes, dents and cracks in wood and is suitable for exterior use. It does not crack and can take stains if mixed before applying. It is waterproof and impervious to sea water, so also suitable for marine use. It may be drilled, sanded etc. once set. For an interior wood filler, please see our Brummer Interior Wood Filler.
How to use Brummer Exterior Wood
- Wood should be sanded smooth, clean and free from wax. If wood is to be painted, it should be primed before the Wood Filler is applied.
- Apply the filler using a putty knife, forcing into the cracks and holes.
- Leave slightly proud of the surface to allow for possible shrinkage.
- Sand off any excess.
- Brummer Exterior Wood Filler is supplied ready for use, but if it becomes hard, adding a little methylated spirit may soften it.
- Allow to dry for about 1 hour, depending on temperature, then sand smooth.
- If the hole to be filled is quite deep, it may be filled in stages to minimise shrinkage.
- Deeper holes will need extended drying periods.
- If applying a clear finish, Brummer exterior Filler can be disguised by painting a pattern onto the dry filler with artists acrylic colours before varnishing.
- Leave to dry for 1 hour before applying undercoat or varnish. Deep filled area will require longer drying times.
The ideal application Temperature is 15-25°C.
Can be used under many paints and varnishes. Most brands should be compatible but if in doubt carry out a small test.
Store in original sealed container in a cool dry place
Clean equipment with methylated spirit or paint thinners whilst soft.
Health and safety
Flammable. Avoid skin contact or inhalation of fumes. Keep container closed. Use outside or in a well ventilated area. Eliminate potential sources of ignition. No smoking.